Useful Links (Categorized)
Last update: 19-Nov-2013
Use the navigation links to the left to jump to each section.
My Social Networking Site Links
- Horror Writers Association: For professional and aspiring horror writers. (I was primarily responsible for the new look of the HWA Web site!)
- Garden State Horror Writers: (GSHW) The name of this group reflects its origins. These days just about every genre is represented and welcomed by GSHW. Meetings 2nd Saturday each month in Manalapan, NJ.
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA)
- Mid-Atlantic Horror Professionals (MAHP)
- Mystery Writers of America
- Western Writers of America
- Romance Writers of America
- The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
- Authors Guild
- National Writers Union (NWU)
Please support these worthy charities!
- Matthew's Miles ~ Walk For A Brain Tumor Cure: My wife, Andrea (email@example.com), is organizing this charitable walkathon (in Logan Township, NJ) named in honor of our son, Matthew, to raise brain tumor awareness and to raise funds to support the research programs of the American Brain Tumor Association. (See link below.) I'm web master of www.matthewsmiles.org, the official site to register as a walker, to become a corporate sponsor, or to make a donation in support of the cause. (Saturday, Sept 20, 2003 will be the First Annual Matthew's Miles walk event.)
- Children's Brain Tumor Foundation (cbtf.org), "to improve the treatment, quality of life and the long term outlook for children with brain and spinal cord tumors through research, support, education, and advocacy to families and survivors."
- American Brain Tumor Association (abta.org), "to eliminate brain tumors through research and to meet the needs of patients and families"
- Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure (abc2.org), "driven by a single purpose to accelerate a brain cancer cure."
- CureSearch (curesearch.org) represents the combined
efforts of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG) and the National
Childhood Cancer Foundation (NCCF), two organizations united by a
common goal: finding a cure for childhood cancer. As partners in this
search, each arm of CureSearch has vital responsibilities covering
research, care, advocacy, and fund-raising.
Children's Cancer Society, offering financial support for treatment related expenses to families with children (birth to age 18) who have cancer.
Children's Wish Fulfillment Charities
- Make-A-Wish Foundation (wish.org), grants "the wishes of children with life-threatening illnesses to enrich the human experience with hope, strength, and joy."
- Starlight Children's Foundation (starlight.org), "an international non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for seriously ill children and their families... A leader in delivering distractive entertainment, Starlight's programs benefit over 100,000 children each month."
- Sunshine Foundation (sunshinefoundation.org), "answering dreams since 1976 for seriously ill, physically challenged, and abused children."
- Reading is Fundamental (rif.org), "founded in 1966, RIF develops and delivers children's and family literacy programs that help prepare young children for reading and motivate school-age children to read regularly."
- First Book (firstbook.org) "is a national nonprofit organization with a single mission: to give children from low-income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books."
GIVE WISELY: Because they will help you "give wisely to charity", the American Institute of Philanthropy is worth a visit, as is GIVE.org (the BBB Wise giving Alliance).
Horror Related Links
reviews, news and market listings, this dark newsletter is available in
email (Text or HTML) and snail mail versions. (HN is now a BLOG.)
- Chapter-A-Day (Dear Reader)the free, weekly book (sample) club, now features Horror books. (Wither's Rain was the featured horror title the week of April 14, 2003.)
- Locus, the site dedicated to LOCUS, the multiple award winning semi-prozine (hardcopy magazine) covering SF, Fantasy and Horror.
- Horror Online Workshop: A new horror workshop by the people who run the Del Rey Books sponsored online SF/Fantasy workshop, which now has over 4,700 members.
- About.com now covers Horror Books!
- Anyone with an interest in dark fiction can nominate works for the International Horror Guild Awards. You can vote or simply view past winners.
- Malinche Entertainment: Experience interactive horror fiction where you are the main character in the horror story.
- HellHorror.com: Horror movie reviews, game and book reviews, banner exchange, forum and more.
Buffy and Angel Links
- HorrorFind, the "exclusively horror" search engine. (You can even RATE MY SITE at HorrorFind.)
- Google, an impressively accurate and fast search engine, includes cached pages so you can see what was there before the live page died or was modified.
- Yahoo!, the classic indexed search engine.
- DirectorySciFi.com provides the sci-fi story on sites.
- ReadersCircle.org is not a search engine, per se, but if you're looking to start or find a book club, this is an excellent resource with results in over 20 countries, including US, UK and Canada.
- View the ghosts
of Passarella.com's past on the Internet Archive's WayBack
Machine. Search the rest of the Web as it WAS.
Chain and Independent Booksellers
- Amazon.com [Books, Music, Movies, Electronics, and more]
- Barnes And Noble, i.e., BarnesAndNoble.com or bn.com
[Books, Music, Movies]
- IndieBound - Whenever possible, support your local independent bookseller (You'll be prompted for your Zip Code to find the participating 'Booksense' independent nearest you!)
- Shocklines: Your One-Stop For Horror - Includes books, comic books, music, T-shirts, artwork, magazines, auctions, etc.
- BETWEEN BOOKS, My local independent specialty store (SF/Fan/Horror/Comics/Anime and Manga/Figures/etc.) Between Books has been in business over 20 years and is located just outside of Wilmington, Delaware. (10% off most books.) I hold my book signing launch event/parties here. Tell Greg Schauer, the owner, (in store M/W/F/S/S) I sent you! Between Books, 2703 Philadelphia Pike, Claymont DE 19703 Tel. 302-798-3378
- Mysterious Galaxy, San Diego, California (Mystery, Horror, SF, Fan)
eBooks, carries the eBook versions of my
books. Use this coupon code -- PASSd7351 -- at checkout to get 20% off your order of my eBooks! This offer is good for the next 45 days, beginning 3/27/2008!
- Flipkart.com, an online bookstore in India carries my books.
- Dark Delicacies, Burbank, California (Horror specialty bookstore)
Reciprocal Author Links
If you are an author and would like to trade links (show of professional
support and all that), let me know. (alpha order)
- Carl Alves, fantasy/horror author of Two For Eternity.
- Kelley Armstrong, author of Bitten, Stolen, Dime Store Magic, and Industrial Magic.
- John Baker, Author of the Sam Turner Mysteries
- Doug Clegg, author of Afterlife, The Dark Game, You Come When I Call You, and Halloween Man. Now you can download Doug's FREE e-novella, Purity for PC or handheld devices!
- New York Times Bestselling Author of Tell No One, Harlan Coben
- Stephen Dorato, horror author and Freelance programmer/consultant.
- Tony Ford, author of Abandon All Hope.
- Brian Freeman, author of Sins of the Children. (dark fantasy and horror author)
- Todd Hayes, author of The Hollow. Learn why "Life is fear."
- Hoodoo Men - A Steve Harris Fansite
- Scott Hintz, horror author.
- Nancy Holder, award-winning author of many Buffy tie-ins and other novels
- Nicholas Kaufmann, novelist and short story writer.
- Dan Keohane, author of Christmas Trees and Monkeys, Collected Horror Stories, Volume 1. We worked/work together on the HWA Web site.
- Jude's Place, Jude Liebermann's action/thriller fantasy/romance novels.
- Jeff Mariotte, friend and novelist, author of Angel: Close to the Ground, Angel: Hollywood Noir, co-author of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Unseen Trilogy and The Watcher's Guide: Volume 2. Jeff is an editor and writer at Wild Storm/DC Comics and is part owner of Mysterious Galaxy, the (SF/FAN/MYS/HORROR) independent bookstore in San Diego.
- McMahon Books, Author's web site, providing book excerpts, reviews, author interview and much more relating to "The K-7 Directive," a thriller novel by Paul N. McMahon.
- Carlton Mellick III, surreal-horror/bizarre-fantasy author.
- Doug Murphy, mystery and romance author.
- Gail Petersen, author of The Making of a Monster and singer, guitarist and writer for "Catholic Girls."
- John R. Platt (DIE LAUGHING) is an editor, cartoonist and short story writer. For a long time, John was the compiler of the HWA's Fiendish Endeavors and President of the Garden State Horror Writers group.
- Maggie Shayne, New York Times Bestselling Author of Embrace the Twilight
- Kevin Sheehan, author of Father Exorcist.
- #1 NY TIMES Bestselling Author of The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks
- Whitley Strieber, The #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of The Hunger, The Last Vampire, and Lilith's Dream: A Tale of the Vampire Life.
- The Ten Percent Man - A Novel, Horrific futuristic scenario. Pseudo-medical Corporation dealing in human organs for profit. A heart-stopping, thought-invoking novel about the disturbing advances being made in organ acquisition. Warning-or prediction? http://www.eamosspromotions.co.uk (Moss Tosney)
- Fred Wiehe's Night Songs: Fiction for the Dead of Night site. Wiehe is the author of Night Songs, The Burning and Starkville.
- Andrew Williams, author of How Do You Compare?
- Drew Williams, author of the novel Night Terrors.
- The Sci-Fi Files, at www.radioscifi.net, airs on the Internet and on 580AM, WDBO, Orlando, Florida and may be coming to a town near you via syndication.
- Llewellyn Books would be the official, if there were such a thing, Wiccan publisher. "New Worlds of Mind and Spirit"
- Huntress Book Reviews: Reviews of books in practically every genre. Also check out Huntress's Locate Author Index.
- Alien Skin Software makes excellent, easy to use plug-in filters for popular graphics programs, such as Adobe's PhotoShop, Macromedia Fireworks, and Jasc's Paint Shop Pro. Check out my reviews at AuthorPromo.com.
- The Internet Movie Database: (IMDB) can answer just about any movie-related questions.